License and Use?

May 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I'm just a little bit confused and was hoping you could answer a couple of quick questions for me:

Is CThru plublished under the Ms-PL and thus somewhat Open Source?

Is CThru an addon for Isolator or a standalone product?

If CThru is standalone, can it be used to perform some of the same functionality as Isolator?

Thank you,

dmp

Coordinator
May 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM
  1. CThru is open source and is an addon to Isolator. Therefore you will need to have Isolator installed (with a comercial license) to make it work (just like you'd need to have a commercial license of Visual studio to run an open source visual studio addin)
  2. You can use CThru to "build your own isolator" indeed. It runs on top of the Open-AOP API, which is what Isolator uses internally to do it's work. So you can override everything and do whatever you want.
  3. Take a look at SilverUnit (built on top of CThru) as an example for such a framework.

Roy

May 8, 2009 at 4:36 AM

Thanks.  I guess I'm still a little bit unsure of why an open source project was created which competes against a commercial, proprietary product, but uses that commercial, proprietary product's internals to do so, requiring said product anyway.  It would be like requiring some one to have Visual Studio Professional installed (and thus purchased) to use/run/develop on mono, to use your analagy, or maybe requre MSTest to use NUnit, etc.  You did answer my questions though, and I appreciate it.

dmp

Coordinator
May 8, 2009 at 7:16 AM

You can build very different things. it's a nAOP engine. so an isolation framework is just one thing. how about a logging framework? or a silverlight unit testing framework (silverunit)? or anything you can think of when you have the power to intercept any call even in pre-compiled assemblies.